Friday, October 10, 2008

Fursty Ferret Ale


Fursty Ferret, man what a great name for a beer. When I saw this bottle with ferrets merrily investigating an oak barrel of booze I knew I had to try this out. This is the first imported beer I have reviewed which hails from England from the Hall and Woodhouse brewery. After the charming name and animation the first thing I noticed was the bundy 500ml quantity which looks more like a scotch bottle than a beer bottle. On the pour I got a fluffy beige head which started at one inch and quickly deteriorated to 1mm. The colour when examined is a classic clear amber. The nose is fairly sweet, cream, caramel yada yada yada. Now the taste had some pretty good elements to it with a strong hop and malt flavour balance and again creamy/caramel characteristics. With that said, lets go into the negatives. There is this odd earthy (best adjective I could come up with) taste which I found rather unappealing. Also I found that there is a soapy astringency on the aftertaste.

Apparently this is a real popular drop over in British supermarkets and what-not, but for all of it's exterior charms you do not get your moneys worth on this one.

Brewery: Hall and Woodhouse
ABV: 4.4%
RRP: $8.90 per 500ml bottle (AUD)

No comments: