Friday, October 17, 2008

Young's Double Chocolate Stout


This is another English beer I decided to review today hoping my luck would go better than Fursty Ferret as this is another expensive British 500ml import. I’ve wanted to do a write up on a stout so I though what the hell? Judging this by its packaging alone it looked pretty tempting as an indulgence and I can tell you now that it doesn't disappoint. Appearance wise I got a foamy hazelnut head which was fairly persistent and no light could penetrate its shadowy depths, doesn't it just look appealing from the photo?
Definitely tops marks in the appearance. The smell to me was all chocolate so what it lacks in variety at least makes up for honesty in its "double chocolate" status. I was hoping for something special in the taste, what I got was... chocolate, shocking! To be more specific and less sarcastic I would say it is a dark chocolate taste, then comes creme and black coffee followed by a smooth burnt cocoa like bitterness. The feel of it is very silky and surprisingly not a thick as I thought it would be.

This is the nicest beer reviewed to date even though it is not perfect. Specifically I would of like this thicker and the bitterness balanced a bit better. Regardless this is a fantastic, enticing, soothing drop to savor that is worth the cost for the occasional treat (especially Christmas time I think).

Additional note: True Brews have coincidently just reviewed this too, so check it out.

Brewery: Wells & Young’s Brewing Co.
ABV
: 5.2%
RRP: $6.99 per 500ml bottle (AUD)

No comments: