Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wicked Elf Pilsner


I was initially drawn to this beer by its charming name and wicked little elf with a hook nose on the bottle. I found that it is a microbrew, hand crafted and produced in small batch so all the hallmarks of a quality beer are there. Right away I can tell this beer stinks of pretentiousness, but I decided to disregard this even at the stake of looking like an ostentatious arsehole drinking it. The little brewing company (TLBC) are the brewers behind this beer, going to their website I can see a whole bunch of awards for all their beers (another good sign). On the pour I got a really big fluffy head and a sharp orange/copper colour, so far things are going well. The aroma isn't terribly complex but I can smell a herbal tone and nice malt sweetness. The taste is however fairly complex and the flavors play well together. Tangy apples, citrus fruits, sweetness from the pilsener malt and maybe a hint of toffee. The bitterness is really well balanced, there is no real aftertaste and there is good amount of carbonation so this beer goes over really well.

I am really impressed, this is tasty and is really drinkable. This is definitely up there and this will something nice for the warmer weather coming up. I would recommend putting aside the "Yuppy factor" (unless thats what your into) and give this a try, good job TLBC!

Brewery: The Little Brewing Company
ABV: 5.0%
RRP: $14.99 per 4 pack (AUD)

No comments: