Friday, October 3, 2008

Monteiths Doppelbock Winter Ale


Well, after realising I had nothing else to do after my last post I thought I would pluck another beer from my fridge and do another review. Of course first I had to get the god awful taste of the other one out of my mouth, which by the way looked as appealing coming out as it did going in. Anyhow back to the beer at hand. This is a New Zealand beer I discovered a couple of months ago, its a seasonal release Doppelbock and although winter has come and gone I still see this one about on my travels. Pouring it out it looks darker than midnight but on closer inspection the colour is a very dark red/caramel. I was having trouble identifying any aroma but there is a slight sweetness that can be noticed. When taking a taste there is a fair bit of character going on which is something I'm always hoping for. While savouring I can detect the taste of spices, honey, cream, liquorice and quite a malty base to it. There is a bit of bitterness that lingers after a sip. Being a Doppelbock (noted as a "liquid bread" back in its Bavarian heritage) I was expecting this to be a filling beer, and while is that and reasonably viscus unfortunately it's not as much as a meal in a glass as a pint of Guinness would be.

This is a good beer and I really enjoyed this during the winter months and its best enjoyed that way, which is obviously why this is a seasonal release. This would not be everybody's cup of tea, but give it a try.

Brewery: Monteiths Brewing Company
ABV: 6.0%
RRP: $17.99 per 6 pack (AUD)

No comments: